Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Weekend

This weekend was going to prove difficult to stay on task with 7. My parents came to town Saturday to celebrate my 30th and Monday was memorial day. By God's grace, it wasn't so bad.

As my parents walked in my apartment I noticed my mom was carrying some food and I got nervous. I hadn't told them about 7 so they had no clue the crazy they were walking into. We didn't mention anything and got straight to work doing some random apartment projects I needed help with. After awhile we headed to the Bottleworks. I made the mistake of saying billy goat chips are really good so my mom ordered an appetizer of them. While we waited for our food, I told them about 7 with a lack luster response. The billy goat chips came and I moved them over to my parents so they were out of reach and I managed to not have a single chip... and not really miss them either! Our food came; I got a chicken sandwich (minus the bread and cheese) with a side of sauteed spinach. It was okay. Not what I would have ordered normally. But, it was okay. When we sat down, my mom mentioned we were celebrating my birthday so the waiter said there would be something special for me. He must have noticed my eating habits because when he took my plate he asked if I wanted my dessert. I said I wouldn't eat it, but that my parents would. Once again, what came wasn't that tempting... 

I mean... it looked better than in the picture and if I wasn't doing 7 I  would have gobbled down 1/3 of it at least! My parents ate it and said it was really, really sweet. They kept saying how they'd just have one more bite, if they could get one without sauce. It was nearly gone when we left the table. 

We headed back to my apartment for a couple more little projects. My mom brought stuff to make DIY hand lotion and her apple peeler so I could make apple sause. Turns out this apple sauce was amazing!

Simply peel and slice 12 or so apples add 1/2 cup of water and spices (I only had cinnamon and nutmeg, but the recipe also called for honey, ginger and cloves) into your crock pot. Leave it on low for 4-6 hours; then mash and let cool (if you can wait that long). I kept thinking how good the pre-mashed apples would taste over a scoop of vanilla ice cream! She left the apple peeler so this will happen again very soon!!

Then it was time for birthday cake! She baked me a birthday cake and how do you pass up on a cake someone has personally made for your special day. Actually, it's kind of easy "thanks, unfortunately, I can't eat any." Of course, that brought on other comments "surely you can have a piece of your own birthday cake!" "I did... on my birthday." "Well, if you aren't going to have a piece, at least you could have a little icing." "no, I'm good." Seriously...icing?!

These comments kind of got me thinking. My food sin seems to be a generational sin in my family. I learned how to misuse food while growing up. While often the shame and hiding of food is from my past also my thoughts and actions are from the same source. If I've learned these behaviors, the good news is, I can learn other behaviors! Getting to see and hear these excuses and thought patterns is extremely helpful in overcoming and repenting of this sin!

My parents left and soon came Memorial Day. After going back and forth on what to do, I ended up with my old roommate just hanging out. We grilled out, which was crazy easy to do and still be 7 proof. But, man did I want one of her blue cheese stuffed burgers. I did eat my chicken on a bun with BBQ sauce. I checked the ingredients of the buns and all the flour was whole wheat so I declared it 7 worthy... and BBQ sauce... it's a condiment people... allowable!

But, sitting there I just wanted to eat more. Again, I didn't know what I wanted; maybe it was Memorial Day, maybe it was watching episode after episode of trashy reality tv. We both laughed when I grabbed a cold grilled chicken breast out of the fridge and ate it. Luckily, she declared the same thing... we just wanted to eat. What is with that?! Why is my default to just eat?


No comments: