Monday, May 7, 2012

Indy Mini

Who ever came up with the term "mini" to describe a half marathon has no clue what he's talking about! There is absolutely nothing "mini" about the Indy mini-marathon.

I get obsessed about the weather for half marathons about a week before they actually occur. And, it wasn't looking good for Indy this weekend. Luckily, the storms didn't come to fruition and with this forecast the day before I thought it was going to be perfect...

...I was wrong! It was blistering hot!!

After slowly making our way to the start line (30 minutes after the race started). We were on our way...slowly. This was my 8th half marathon and by far the hardest! I knew going into it it was the largest half marathon in the country, but I wasn't prepared for the massive amount of people on the streets. I literally couldn't run. I couldn't get focused. I couldn't get into a rhythm. Finally around mile 6 or so I just gave up. I wasn't going to PR and I was going to walk the rest. Actually, for some strange reason I was okay with this.





About half way through the speedway or so, my friend caught up with me. I figured this would happen and was really happy about it. Especially considering this meant I got this picture!!

Apparently kissing the bricks is an Indy tradition for all winners... and shoot... we are all winners!!

Around this time is when a guy literally passed out right beside us. It was well in the 80s at this point and we'd been out there for over 2 hours. After him there were people all over getting attention from medics. We pushed through and walked our way to the end.


We decided to never do half marathons over 20,000 registrants and only in March/April and Sept/Oct/Dec.

I really have no clue what I'm going to do during the Chicago full! Is it as bad as this?!

No comments: