Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Starting Line

Today marks the beginning of several different challenges for me all loosely wrapped around the fact that today I cross the start line for the Chicago Marathon. Hopefully on October 17 around 2 pm I'll be crossing the finish line. But, the race officially begins today.

Let me go on the record and say, I'm completely unsure I'm able to do this. 26.2 miles is a freaking long ways!! Most St. Louisans refuse to drive that far... to prove my point:


point... proven.

Not only am I starting the Chicago Marathon today, but another challenge...Seven.


Recently I read this book. ---------->

It's a good, yet quick read on excess. I'll spare you a full review and just say it's convicting and a little over the top. I don't believe I live a life of crazy excess; however, that's all very relative considering I live among the richest people in the world.

The first chapter of Jen Hatmaker's book deals with the excess of food. I have major sin issues with food. I sin with food probably more than in any other area of my life. It's evident in my waist size.

I had already decided to cut out all sweets (excluding fruit's natural sweetness) and alcohol during marathon training. But, after reading this book I kicked the challenge up a notch and added 7 to the challenge list (still debating the other areas outside of food). I'm never one to back down from a challenge; however, I am one to con my friends into doing it with me and spend a week completely indulging sinning in preparation for a fast.

Starting today, my friend Laura and I start 7 and my lovely friend Courtney sacrifices sweets and alcohol in support of my training.

Here is the basic principles behind 7. We live in a culture where it is completely and totally acceptable, rather praised, to accumulate stuff. Whatever it is, we want more. Yet, through the entire Bible, we are told this world is temporary, do not store up earthly things, etc. etc. Naturally, if we are following these commands, our closets (and refrigerators) should look significantly different than our yet-believing friends next door. Therefore, 7 reorients our lives to that end. For food this means we will pick 7 items for 30 days to eat. Nothing more.

Here's the list:

Okay... Okay... I know... there are actually 8 items there. And, yes, in a lesson on excess, I added an item. Hear me out. I NEED bananas when I run. It might be a comfort thing, but really I hate getting charlie horses and they stop those from happening. And, really the heart of 7 is to reduce excess and discipline our bodies to live simply in order to glorify God. I think I can still do that with 8 items.

Jen Hatmaker (the author of 7) did a bunch of research and found that these 7 items (chicken, eggs, apples, avocados, spinach, sweet potatoes, and whole wheat bread) packed the most and necessary nutrients our bodies need so we're going off of her research and list.


However, she also limited herself to only a very small amount of olive oil, salt, and pepper. That seemed a bit over the top for us so we are allowing spices and some condiments (lemon and limes). I am also holding a loose definition of "whole wheat bread" to "whole wheat bread like substances." It would be extremely abnormal for me to buy a loaf of bread, rather my diet consists of whole wheat tortillas and whole wheat english muffins. Laura is out doing me here and only eating Ezekiel bread... overachiever!


I'm prepared for this to be extremely challenging specifically during social events and eating out. Already wondering how I'll navigate this afternoon's child's birthday party, next weekend's parents visit, community group meetings/outings, staff meeting/event, and a day trip with friends... I'm up for the challenge!

1 comment:

Courtney said...

HOOOOOOOORay. You are going to shred this challenge!