Friday, September 14, 2012

MILEStones

The day I started training for my very first half marathon happened to be the day my uncle endured an 18 hour surgery for mesothelioma (the cancer caused by exposure to asbestos). As I started my first run, I realized it was the exact moment they were wheeling him into surgery. I started praying and thinking back on his life and how he'd give anything to be running with me instead of in surgery. However, we all know he'd rather be sitting by the pool or on the golf course. The entire time I trained just about ever single run I'd think about him and it seemed to put the struggle I was having to keep going in perspective.

That year my first half marathon would be cancelled because of the remains of a hurricane making it's way through St. Louis. My tears for missing my first chance to run a half marathon soon became determination to do it on my own. That night I laced up my running shoes and ran 13.1 miles alone on the city streets of St. Louis. As I rounded the corner on the way back to my apartment I had tears in my eyes from not letting a little thing like a canceled race get in my way from accomplishing a goal.

The next morning I would be awaken by a phone call from my cousin. Her dad lost his battle with cancer in the middle of the night. After I called our family I sat and reflected on his struggle. I realized he was taking his last breaths just a few hours after I took my last steps of my personal half marathon. 

Tomorrow marks the anniversary of his death and I will be completing my longest run in my history... 20 miles. What a better way to honor his anniversary but complete the lost long run of this training schedule.


Christmas Eve tradition - Steve's Whiskey Sours 

No comments: