Monday, July 14, 2008

New Day!

I'm amazed at what my body can do.

Not that I'm all of a sudden some kind of Olympic marathoner, but my body amazed me today. I set my alarm for 6 a.m. hoping to get my run in before it got really hot outside. Instead of bouncing out of bed, I hit snooze till 8 (okay 8:30). Finally, I headed out the door, hating that I was going for a run.

I didn't want to be out of bed, let alone in running shoes. But, there I was walking towards my start line thinking to myself how I just wanted to walk the whole thing. As I walked, I thought about why I was so tired. Was it from a lack of sleep, possibly. The fact that today would be the 7th day in a row without a day off, maybe. Could it be from eating like crap? sure. Maybe I have low iron again. Whatever the reason... I was exhausted. So, I let myself walk a bit further than normal and finally forced myself to start running.

Wouldn't you know it! Running felt so much better than walking. It made me feel energized, alive, mobile. It shook the sleep out of my eyes (and promptly replaced it with sweat). It was a new day and I was accomplishing a goal. This run I was dreading turned out to be a run where I actually added fartleks.... amazing!

No comments: