Saturday, October 20, 2012

Intentionally getting healthy

I've been sick for awhile now. I've tried to deny it and tell myself I'm imagining things or just need to toughen up. But, I started to notice a change with my body back in April/May. It takes a long time for me to really notice things and even longer for me to convince myself that something is wrong and I should go to the doctor. In June I headed to the doctor. I had narrowed my choices of what was wrong down to a few things and we talked about those. I figured it was my iron and yes, my counts were low. I went to another doctor in August and I learned a little bit more which solved some issues, but not the whole.

Finally last week I had had enough and went back to the doctor. I'm thinking it's going to be a long road which frustrates me to no end! From research I've done, I think I have a gluten sensitivity or allergy. It seems like all the rage right now to do gluten fee so part of me thinks I'm reading too much into it. And, I refuse to alter my lifestyle drastically without some sort of diagnosis or doctor recommendation. Mainly because I know I won't stick to it without one and apparently it can screw up your tests. Secondly, what the heck are you suppose to eat?! Here's the list from the Mayo Clinic:


Avoid unless labeled 'gluten-free' 
Avoid these foods unless they're labeled as gluten-free or made with corn, rice, soy or other gluten-free grain. Also check the label to see that they're processed in a facility that is free of wheat or other contaminating products:

Beers
Breads
Cakes and pies
Candies
Cereals
Cookies
Crackers
Croutons
Gravies
Imitation meats or seafood
Oats
Pastas
Processed luncheon meats
Salad dressings
Sauces (including soy sauce)
Self-basting poultry
Soups

Really, what's left after you take those out?!

In the mean time, I'm waiting for the results of another test and removing dairy from my diet (on my doctors recommendation). I didn't know how often I had dairy until I removed it. I miss cheese... and pumpkin spice lattes!

I have such mixed emotions about this whole thing. I HATE not knowing what's going on. I HATE the process of figuring it out. I HATE the possibility of completely altering my lifestyle. But, I feel so good about working towards getting better. I want to be healthy.

No comments: