Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Late to Bed; Early to Rise

I just came back from a pretty good run. Today I ran 2 miles... without stopping! There were several points that I wanted to stop for a bit, but I kept telling myself it was only 2 miles; you can do it. That strategy worked today, but I'm think it's not going to work on race day. It's only 13.1 miles... nope, that makes me want to curl up in the fetal position and cry.

My exuberance was short lived though. First, let me say this, weight lose is not my goal in running my half marathon, but I figured it was bound to happen and wanted to keep track. So, Wednesday is my day to track such successes or, as today proved, failures. I gained 5 lbs this week!!!!! Seriously... how does that happen?!?! It's true, I don't eat perfectly and I did have a cupcake and possibly a couple pastries at work this week. But, I'm doing the whole weight watchers thing and I've had additional points for all of that stuff. Needless to say, I'm pretty bummed about it and trying not to let it get me down because I just stinkin' ran 2 miles!!!!

Getting past it...

Like I said in an earlier post, one of my friends (Lara) and I get up earlier and walk together when we can. It's great motivation to know she's waiting outside my door at 5:30 a.m. Especially when I'm closing every night and couldn't drag my butt out of bed without her there.

We've now come to realize we'll see the same people in the park and look forward to our casual greetings. A few weeks ago we were walking along and heard this stomping behind us. It kept getting closer and closer until finally they passed us... it was the most adorable little boy running, with all the joy in the world, next to his dad. The little boy yelled "good morning!" when he was still probably 5 feet behind us (adorable!!). As they passed, his dad also greeted us and they scampered (mainly the little child) off on their run. Last week the dad (who's always in spandex) ran past us again, but without child. We continued disappointed because of course in our heads he's an amazing father who loves his child and the little boy is eagerly waiting to go for a run with dad every morning. As we walked along today we began wondering where spandex man was and if he'd mended his relationship with his son. About that time we see him off in the distance running in his spandex glory being out paced by his little boy!! Way to go kid!

No comments: