Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Whiskey... I mean... Scotch Sauce.

I hate those months where on pay day you're already counting the days to the next paycheck knowing this one isn't going to cover all the days in between. That's what February is going to be for me. If I stick to the extremely tight budget I've set for myself I'll only be short $25 by the end of the month (luckily it's a short month). Well... really $75, but I'll be asking my Community Group to sponsor $50 of expenses I have for an upcoming mission trip. I'm trusting they'll provide that expense.

It begins. The creative meals of what's in the pantry, freezer and fridge. Sometimes these prove to be the best meals ever! Example: last night's Chicken in Creamy Whiskey Sauce. So good I nearly licked the pan!

I loosely (very loosely followed this recipe).


3 chicken breasts
lots of garlic (I love garlic)
olive oil
2 Tbs butter
2 Tbs flour
1/2c. heavy cream
1/4c. skim milk
1/4c. chicken broth
2 Tbs. Scotch
italian seasoning
salt
pepper
brussel sprouts

heat a good amount (1 Tbs maybe) of olive oil on low with a few cloves of garlic. Let the oil absorb the loveliness of the garlic. Add chicken to brown. Flip once. Add brussel sprouts. bake in 350 oven for about 30-45 minutes until Chicken reaches 170 degrees. remove from pan.

Using the same pan melt butter. Whisk in flour and cook for 2-3 minutes until bubbly. remove from heat while you add cream, milk, broth, and whiskey. Return to heat and allow it to thicken, stirring constantly. Add spices to taste.

Add the chicken and brussel sprouts back in and allow to warm up in the sauce before you enjoy the amazingness you just created!!

Things I'd change next time:
I wouldn't use brussel sprouts. They were okay, but didn't add anything. I've been experimenting a little with them since I discovered how much I love them roasted. This isn't their place to shine.

I'm thinking I'd thin this sauce a tad bit with more broth, cut up the chicken, add steamed broccoli and toss in some whole wheat pasta... oh man that makes my mouth water just thinking about it!!!

No comments: