Thursday, January 12, 2012

Extreme measures.

Once a month my community group hosts an open door dinner. It's a time to welcome anyone and everyone into a home for a tasty meal, watch the game, play some games, and/or just share some stories and laughs. I love them.

This month I decided to get crazy and bake a pecan pie inside a chocolate cake. I saw this and couldn't resist. However... mine turned out more like this...


My guess is the oven was too hot and baked the outside while leaving the cake inside completely unbaked. It looked sooo great until I turned it onto a wire rack to cool and the thing just deflated. It was sad for two reason... the yumminess that was sure to ensue and the wasting of so much money! Pecans are expensive.

Now I had less than an hour before I had to leave and nothing to take with me. Luckily I still had a pie crust and enough pecans to make another pie. But, not just any pie... a bourbon pecan pie! Yes, BOURBON! It's my new favorite. Every pecan pie from now on will include bourbon. AMAZING!

Of course, I brought back over half of it from open door dinner. So there sat an amazing pecan pie (my favorite) sitting on my kitchen table. I was determined to not eat a piece on Monday. I left the thing sitting there as I went off to work. But, low and behold, it was still there when I returned. Finally a stroke of brilliance occurred to me.

See, I live alone, which makes accountability when it comes to food a little difficult. However, this time I took a picture of the glorious pie and sent it to two friends saying "I'm only sending this to you to prove later that I did not eat any of it." Later that night they received this...


I included the ipad time just so they knew I didn't cheat and send the same picture.

This week I've learned to take extreme measures. Who cares if you have to send a picture of what you eat to a friend? If they are walking through life with you, they will be honored to get to help you and keep you accountable to what God is calling you too. Who cares if you have to shut the door to your kitchen and put up a sign...


Who cares if you have to journal every single morning telling yourself and God that "Christ will be honored in my body." Who cares if you have to put little prayer notes on your refrigerator as reminders to go to God and not food for comfort... 


Who cares if you have to take extreme measures...God cares. He cares that I honor him with my body. He cares that I find my lasting and true comfort and satisfaction from Him. He cares that I am sustained by His daily bread and not literal bread. By whatever means possible, I will glorify God and Honor Christ with my body.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this post. I love reading things that come from your heart. Brilliant.