Saturday, September 27, 2008

Not Running

Oh the good life!

It's been about a week or so since my last long run and I'm feeling pretty good about myself. Actually that's a lie. I haven't done shit and I feel like it. Without a set schedule I don't know what to do with myself. I'm really a lazy person and am fine with sitting on the couch all day. Except for the fact that I hate myself after doing so.

To get myself off the hook a little bit, the past week has been crazy hectic. My uncle died the day after my non-half marathon. I wasn't that close to him, but I've become really close to his daughter. I was really upset when he died. You see, on one of my very first runs last year I ran because he was having his surgery (the 15 hour one). I ran that day because I knew he would give anything to be out running. In all honesty he probably wouldn't and he probably thought I was crazy to attempt such a thing. Either way, I ran because of him. In fact, he's been on my heart and mind most of my runs while training. I haven't told many people (until now), but he died just a few hours after I finished my "half marathon." For some reason that really got to me; the fact that when I was in pain and outside hoping to be done soon he was in bed in pain and hoping to be done soon.

My mom and I drove down for the Florida services.* We stopped half way in Atlanta and stayed with her brother. I decided to get up real early in the morning and go for a run because I couldn't make myself get in a car and sit for another 8 hours without some sort of physical exercise. Man! Atlanta has a good hill workout. The next morning I awoke in someone's vacation home and did some laps in the pool. That's a workout I'd like to repeat often. I didn't realize how much of a full-body work out swimming was. Once I got home I went for a walk and today I went for another one.

So, what do I do... I really need to be running, but can't get myself out the door.

* we are in the middle of what I call "Steve's funeral tour." They are holding another service(s) next week in Illinois and possibly Indiana as well.

No comments: