Tuesday, August 5, 2008

ps... grandpa I love you!

Food... a glorious reason for and result of training

I'm not sure if it's because I'm running more or because it's summer time, but I'm obsessed with fruits and vegetables right now. Growing up I took this for granted, but now that I'm 2 hours away from my grandpa's glorious 5 acre garden I treasure each vegetable. Please allow me to divert from the normal training log to give you a glimpse into my food diary.

Here's a small sample of the care package sent to me by grandpa. It's a small sample because I've been cooking and eating for about a week now. Sadly that's the only cob of corn left.

Inspired by Kara, here's a few things I've cooked the past few days.

My grandma is amazing. She makes so many crazy yummy things. One day I want to be as good as she is... why not start now. I tried to conquer her freezer slaw receipt. Every summer she makes this vinegar based slaw and freezes it to eat through out the year. It's always a favorite of mine.


the line up:
one very large head of cabbage
6 carrots
2 green peppers
2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup of water
2 teaspoon whole mustard seed
2 teaspoon celery seed
4 cups sugar

chop cabbage, carrots and peppers together. Mix with salt and let stand for an hour. Squeeze out extra moisture. Meantime...


Combine and boil for 1 minute: vinegar, water, mustard seed, and celery seed. Cool to luke warm and drain mustard seed out. Pour over cabbage mixture.



Divide into freezing containers, date and freeze for enjoyment later. Can be enjoyed for up to a year!


I've also enjoyed these little creations...

2 comments:

thebets said...

Yeah for grandpa and our anti-scurvy campaign!

Inspired Kara said...

If customers go by drink names, do I get to be Miss Skinny Vanilla?? ;)

UMMMM Hello! I'm obsessed with the deliciousness of this post. Let us please get together soon and cook