Sunday, August 21, 2011

Plateau

Over the last two months I've hit a plateau. I've lost and gained and lost and gained the same 5-8 pounds. It's terribly frustrating; one week I'm feeling great and losing 4-5 pounds and turn right around and gain it back. I've blamed a lot of things; some legit and some not so much. Finally last night I did some googling and found this:

Expect your metabolism to slow down as you lose weight. The more weight your body is carrying, the more calories your body has to burn in order to sustain itself, even at rest. When you begin restricting your calorie intake, you'll lose weight relatively easily because your body's high caloric needs are not being met. But after you begin to shed the weight, the body has less mass to carry and thus needs fewer calories. In order to continue losing weight, you will have to restrict your caloric intake even further in order to maintain a difference between what your body needs and what you are providing.[2]

It made sense and clicked. I had changed my exercise and dieting and lost 35 pounds. I had changed enough to lose that much weight and in order to lose more, I am going to have to adapt and change. Here's my game plan:

1. no more sweets - I've been out of control with sweets. Last night I had ice cream with a friend; Wednesday there's a game night I'm going to. I'm allowing myself to bend a little there. But, that's it. 

2. meal planning - shockingly I HATE menu planning. I'm learning I'm not as big of a planner and detail person as I've fit myself into. I tried to plan a week's menu on Saturday and it made me want to crawl into the fetal position. WAAAYYY too much work...enter e-mealz.com. I got a 3 month subscription and started this week. It's easy! 

3. tracking - I've slacked from tracking my food. It's coming back

4. water - drinking lots of it... three nalgenes a day.

5. running - technically I've done all my training runs so far, but they haven't been pretty. Getting back out there and hitting it hard. 

With much prayer I feel like I'm on the edge of the plateau and about to fall face first back into weight lose!

No comments: