Sunday, April 17, 2011

I am glorified; I will be glorified

Pardon the interruption of my normal rants about losing weight and training for half marathons. But, this is Holy Week.

I'm excited for this week and am expecting God to move and work in amazing ways through out this week. It's way to easy to get extremely busy with everything that has to be done this week. I work at a church and we've got plenty to do! Yet, I want to take time each day and feel the weight and emotions of Jesus' last days. To walk side-by-side with my Savior as he willingly sacrificed His life for mine.

John 12:27-28
"Now is my soul troubled. And what shall I say? 'Father, save me from this hour?' But for this purpose I have come to this hour. Father, glorify your name.' Then a voice came from heaven: 'I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again.'"

Jesus' purpose in life was to glorify God the Father. He knew that for him this meant taking on my sin and dieing on the cross. As it should, this "troubled his soul." It's beyond my understanding to even begin to imagine what this had to feel like. He was fully human and felt the anxiety of immanent death. He could feel the pain of what he was about to do. He probably, no he did, want another way, but there wasn't one. He knew in this moment that for God to fully be glorified, he must lay down his life.

Yet, in that moment, he knew this; he knew his calling, his purpose - to glorify God. Nothing, not even death was going to stop him from his holy purpose. But, here in John we see that God met him in that purpose and in that moment of pain. God spoke from heaven to His son to say He was glorified and He would be again. Even before Jesus laid down his life, God the Father was glorified. God was Glorified in the LIFE of Jesus, not just his death. God spoke to His son as a loving father would to say: you've made me proud, and you'll make me proud again.

We each have a calling and purpose with our lives. It's the exact same purpose of Jesus' - to glorify God. Because of Jesus' death, we also hear God speaking to us from heaven saying "I am glorified, I will be glorified." May I live a life that glorifies God and hear His voice of my loving Father saying I am proud of you and will be proud of you.

No comments: