Monday, February 23, 2009

life...

Rhythms. Pathways. Memorization.

My church is finishing up a sermon series called Rhythms. It's been convicting to see what spiritual disciplines I lack, but redeeming to see God working and changing my heart. Bringing me closer to Himself through these pathways.

One of those said lacking disciplines for me is scripture memorization. But, I was challenged by one of the girls in my CG to memorize Romans 8. And, I'm loving it! Even though I've fallen a tad behind schedule, I finding it a clear way to really learn what God is saying. Sure I read the bible, but I often read it as if I'm reading just any other book. Once sentence after another. Yet, memorization takes time. You must look at each and every sentence. Break it down. Figure out what is being said.

Why am I going on and on about scripture memorization in a blog about training for a half marathon? Because running is an area where two worlds collide. It's a medium for God to meet me and for me to worship Him. Today was just another 50 minute cross training day, but while memorizing Romans 8:11 God struck me on my training. "If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his spirit that dwells in you."* Really reading that verse, meditating on it, and memorizing it brought me alive. Because the spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead does dwell in me. That means that he who raised Christ Jesus is giving life to my mortal body! My body is alive and able because Christ's spirit, through righteousness (v. 10) breaths life into me. I'm able to go run and enjoy His beauty because His spirit dwells in me! That give me all new motivation to get out there and train. Use the body that Christ and given life too.


*confession... I had to cheat when writing the verse.

No comments: